Tuesday 3 November 2015

Value Range: Mindmapping



I first started by writing a mindmap of everything around value products. Different reasons why people may not use them such as they believe they comprimise quality and that they are cheap. I want to outline the reasons I think people don't buy value products so that when I conduct my research I can compare my findings with my original theory. 

Currently I think there are a couple different reasons why people have negative views on the value products:

1. Cheap The packaging looks cheap and this reflects the product inside, people don't want to sacrifice quality.
2. Taste I think people believe there is a huge difference in taste between the value range and the slightly more expensive alternatives 

Both of these issues stem from the packaging design. People rely on the packaging to judge the quality of the product inside, if the packaging looks cheap and low quality then the product will be viewed the same way. Taste again, I think has a lot to do with visual perceptions when you try a product with nicer packaging it tastes better compared to the same product in cheaper packaging. Blind taste tests shows that the split between value and brand is around 50/50 compared to when the packages are shown and the brand preference jumps up to 80/20.



After my initial research into mumsnet and online articles I mind mapped possible solutions and different ways of approaching the brief. I noticed a few running themes which I have colour coordinated into three different approaches.



Approach one: Changing perceptions
My first idea to spark from this was to try and change people's perceptions around value products. Instead of being viewed  as cheap and poor quality, people could view them as a bargain. To do this I would have to show that there is no real difference between the value and the brands.

Approach two: Saving money
I noticed a lot of mums online wrote about how they have started using basic range products to cook meals from scratch as it is cheaper and no-one can tell the difference. Most people are looking for a way to cut back on spending and the value range is perfect for this market. On average a family saves £850 a year if they downshift to a cheaper brand, that is so much money saved without having to sacrifice flavour or quality. This approach could work well playing on the idea that people would have money for the stuff that matters.

Approach three: No difference in taste
Money Saving Expert found that there were no nutiritional differences in a large amount of the value products and a lot of people online wrote how products were 'exactly the same' as their more expensive alternatives. Taste is a big issue with cheaper products so focusing on the fact that the flavour and taste are the same could be a viable option.

I will ask a few people the questions I have prepared in an informal interview setting and see what answers I get. Then I will revisit these approaches and outline what approach I will take.


No comments:

Post a Comment