Friday 29 January 2016

Value Range: Chicken!

I have decided to have a roast as my meal, I will then design the packaging for each Sainsburys value range element that would be used in the roast. The roast is a typically British meal where all the family gathers around, this will promote the Savours selection's values of family centricity. Equally a roast is a meal that most families will cook, the final advert for the Sainsbury's savour selection will highlight how cheap a roast can be cooked for for the whole family. This can be used as a selling point - bringing families together
"getting the family together doesn't need to be expensive.....cook a roast for everyone for just £5" or however much it will be.


I begun by drawing my own chicken. I chose to hand draw it myself for a few reasons: firstly in the crit it was made clear that the design should use as few colours as possible to minimise printing costs. By hand drawing it I could keep the design in black and white which would minimise colour but add a lot more detail. Secondly, a hand rendered style is more appropriate because it shows time and effort has gone into creating it; people will subconsciously relate the design of the packaging to the product it contains. Thirdly, a hand rendered style of drawing will be able to applied to every product not just in the roast but for the whole value range.



I have edited the drawing slightly to make it cleaner around the edge (mainly the feet). Using the logo I had designed previously I have combined the two styles. I have copied the cooking information from Sainsbury's website to fill in the gaps. I have left the design with as much free white space around it as possible to make the contrast stronger, I feel it is important to leave white space because this is associated with value products. At the same time, I have made a conscious effort to not make the design look cheap. I want it to fit in with the Sainsbury's over arching brand and appeal to their middle class audience. Whilst this isn't the market that would have to buy value range products I would like to design the range so that it could be seen as a viable, cheaper alternative rather than embarrassing or only for poorer families. After all money saved on food can be spent on the more important things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment