Monday 23 May 2016

River Cottage Menu: Evaluation

This was a one week competition brief that I chose firstly because I wanted to do something not related to packaging, and secondly because I have never attempted a menu design before. I felt the brief was a good opportunity to improve my type hierarchy skill set and really think about what order the information should be read in and how a hierarchy can make it easier and more pleasant to read.

The brief has taught me about the importance of layout and the placement of information as well as how individual elements such as type, colour, illustration and image can be combined to create a pleasing design.

The brief format and colour restrictions forced me to think about what elements would bring life and personality into the menu design whilst still being within the limits. I think I have been successful in creating a design that is both interesting and engaging but also importantly in keeping with the existing River Cottage visual identity.

I have also learnt when to stop working on an idea and admit that it isn’t the most appropriate or effective outcome. For quite a while I tried to get the menu design to work with a painting but in the end an image worked far better at communicating to the customers than the painting ever could.

Overall the brief has been a success as it has helped me develop all the skills I wanted to work on and I’ve produced an outcome that I am proud of.

No comments:

Post a Comment