Tuesday 3 May 2016

Nestlé: Campaign





I have begun designing some posters for the campaign to reintroduce Walnut Whips. I want the posters to correspond and compliment the packaging as this will add continuity to the cross over of designs. Out of the three main fonts I used for the packaging I am going to use Sigmar one (middle) for the poster statements as it is the clearest and easiest to read from a distance. The Starpack brief was around shelf impact and what stands out, for this reason I think the campaign needs to be bold and in your face so that it has impact.


Using an image from the photoshoot of a Walnut Whip I placed it in the centre, the increasing blue line background has been copied from the packaging in order to match and also draw the eye into the WW. The statement 'I'm back' announces to the world that walnut whips are now back and better than ever. Already I am liking the contrast between the type and background.


The walnut image was uneven so using photoshop I have duplicated the nuts on the other side in order to balance out the image.


This has made a big difference as it has stopped the design from being lop sided.


The type has also been centralised and split so that it fits better around the image. Having 'I'm back' in the central middle grabs the viewers attention, the extra type has been moved below the walnut whip which has balanced the design and means it is read separately to the primary statement. Adding the image of the packaging at the bottom left shows people what the packaging looks like which will help the products recognition.


I have mocked up the design onto a poster advertisement to see how it would look in reality. The colours create a bold and vibrant contrast which is guaranteed to catch your attention. The statement "I'm back!" has an extremely clear meaning, when viewed from a distance the message of the poster is understandable - the viewer would only have to see the chocolate and the statement and realise that Walnut Whips are back on shelves. 


BUS
One idea that was sparked from a comment from a lady in a forum who said her and her husband will have to fight over the 3rd Walnut Whip. This introduced another interesting marketing angle - the one left over. "One for you, One for me, One to argue over..." highlights the majority of relationships where you will bicker or argue for the last bit of food, or maybe thats just me?! Anyway, the statement is fun, light hearted and engages the audience. The advert has been left intentionally without any branding i.e the name or logo because the Walnut Whip itself is iconic enough to be recognised. Even if people don't know what the adverts for it will create intrigue.




2nd Poster
A second poster was created around the idea of being transported back to childhood. One comment from a man saying how Walnut whips take him down memory lane sparked my next design. I knew I wanted to do something based around nostalgia which got people to reminise however this wording pulled it all together.



A few experimentations with the follow up statement "it would be rude not to!". The font Cheddar Jack which has been used to compliment Sigmar One on the packaging breaks up the design and adds a hand rendered element to the design. However the r  in 'rude' looks more like an S which causes it to be misread.  The white type definitely stands apart from the blue type but perhaps too far out? My eye is drawn to the white type and I ignore the other information and box! Decreasing the secondary statement helps the type hierarchy meaning the viewers eye reads the top statement first.




A blue frame? Nope. Makes the design look caged in and refined which doesn't particularly fit with the bright colours and the brands personality.






I tried making the first statement bigger to see if this was visually more pleasing, however I think having the type bigger suddenly gives the eye more space to cover making the design less pleasant to look at.





Making the type smaller has really improved the designs appearance. Overall I am really happy with the poster outcomes so far as they fit in well with the campaigns concept and the packaging's visual identity. I have applied the poster to a magazine spread and a bill board - two very likely places for it to be displayed. The design is bright and engaging, it is all a bit of fun and shows the brands upbeat and lighthearted personality. One thing I will add is the Nestlé logo as this will help increase sales if people see it is a 'trusted' brand.






No comments:

Post a Comment